April 9, 2008

Flash the Muse with Flash Fiction...©

Playing around with this Workshop Wednesday thing, I've decide to make a hard left turn this week. I've been exploring different blogs, migrating out of my comfortable zone. A part of my broadening/promotion quest, I guess.

I came across a post by elizadashwood, "Craft of fiction: Example of 55 word fiction," that got my wheels turning. Now that challenge is tricky at best--to hone out a story in 55 words--that I'm going to try for next week.

Now for my left turn, I was reading though the comments and saw (S)wine's comment about Hemingway's famous bid of flash fiction: "For sale: baby shoes, never worn." This I remembered from studying Hemingway--you know he frequented one of my favorite vacation destinations? (Off topic, I'll talk about that some other time...)

I just had to dive deeper to find more, since I've been working on this clarity, condense, and edit thing. I found the Short Stories Site and Siobhain M Cullen's post "Flash Fiction" that has several different 6 word flash fiction submissions by several authors, which is very entertaining you should check it out.

Here's my little attempt at the exercise:

Open lips, embracing, they fell asleep.

I also reversed "Open lips" to say:

Lips open, embracing, they fell asleep.

I don't know if that's how it's supposed to go. It's just my feeble attempt at dusting off my creative side. At any rate it's a fun little thing to do. Now to tackle the 55 word challenge for next week is really going to take a little effort on my part.
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

4 comments:

  1. MUse:

    You’ve really done it this time - a 55-word story!

    In 1963 I was in Rome. I saw a beautiful bible that was so big and heavy you could hardly lift it. And next to it on the table was a little one-inch square bible. The tour guide said that, amazingly, the little bible contained all the words that were in the big bible.

    How's that for a 55-word story?

    Great challenge, and great post.

    Have a very nice day, Muse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your six words read like good minimalist poetry--hm, I wonder when fiction becomes poetry and vice-versa? Okay, now I'm getting confused.

    I'm looking forward to reading your 55 words, Muse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Home Broker, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://home-broker-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swu, you slay me everytime!

    Conda, I'm working on it. I aim to get started this weekend so the post will be ready by Wednesday.

    Home Broker, Welcome! Thanks for stopping by. I will check out your site.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!

Comments are appreciated. Be sure to leave your site information so I can visit you too!

Search the Web

Followers

Powered By Blogger