April 23, 2008

Dabbling the Muse in Poetry...©

In my last post I talked about the movie Amadeus. Mozart was an extremely talented musician composing 600 pieces throughout his short lifetime. His first composition was at about the young age of 6--incredible. He started playing at 4.

I love music. I wondered if I could write a song. Many times songs are formed from a piece of poetry.

A couple of weeks ago I started working on a poem. It's rough and it came from a dream I had about my deceased husband. He came to me in my dream and it was as if he had never passed.

The pain of his passing left me numb for a time. Had it not been for our friends, my family, and my daughter, I probably would have become some sort of a recluse. So deeply depressed that nothingness would have absorbed me.

My husband now was a touch stone for me. He was my deceased husband's best friend. He carried me through the roughest of emotional times then. Our friendship turned to love. Sometimes I feel as if we were somehow put together by a force from beyond.

The dreams I have about my past love are vivid, always. I feel as if he comes to me because I asked him to. When we found that he was terminal we discussed the afterward and what would be.

We were not morbid about it. We knew the facts. In the backs of our heads, we knew what was happening. We tried every thing that medicine, and alternative medicine, had to offer to belay the inevitable. At times I lived in denial just to get through it; I was young. Those times were the hardest I had ever had.

However hard it was, we still had our love to pull us through.

I could go on, but I want to get to my exercise for this week: Poetry. (I felt it necessary to give a little history so my poetry rambling could be understood.)

What got me started with this was my daughter's English class. They have been working on poetry during this 9 week section. If you are interested, you can see a little poem we put together for an assignment in Spring into Summer Mood-A Pattern Poem Assignment.

Lately, it seems that poetry has taken a front seat. I've been reading a lot of poetry in blogs, articles, and print.

This poem is a work in progress. It is only the beginning, I think. In my head I hear it with music.




Last night...
You joined me in my dream
Last night...
You really made me scream
Last night...
It was like we never parted
Last night...
My heart was restarted


Last night...
You were stronger than ever
Our hearts were never severed

This can't be a dream
Not all is as it seems
When I awaken
I find I was mistaken

What was all so real
Left me nothing to feel



...



I wonder, given my musical background, if I could...Forget that, I'm no Mozart. I can read music but I doubt I could write it.
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

5 comments:

  1. Muse;

    Lovely poem. I'm no expert at writing poetry, but I have churned out a few heartfelt lines to my Queen. We both get all teared up, tell each how much we love each other, get all teared up some more, and then put the poetry away until next year. I know it sounds sappy, but that's how we are. It sounds like there's somebody very special in your life that you share the same feelings with. That's a good thing.

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Swu! Poetry is so personal. I've read some poems that I can relate to and some that just leave me confused.

    I've been scribbling poems for a long time. I actually had a couple published in the early 90's. I think the more heartfelt the better. To allow the reader a look into your soul, now that's the ticket.

    I think writing poetry is a good exercise. Especially for word play. I might have to write some more...

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it is a lovely poem, Muse. And I am fascinated by the connection between poetry and music--I believe they are closely related--perhaps even expressions of the same thing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Conda! The same in a lot of cases. I don't think that rejection bit I did the other day would qualify though. Unless someone like Larry the Cable Guy was singing it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Sleep would be so boring without our dreams. They're a place to escape to or revisit great events in our lives.

    I'm so happy that you found your new love.

    Take Care,
    Peter

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!

Comments are appreciated. Be sure to leave your site information so I can visit you too!

Search the Web

Followers

Powered By Blogger