All schools in our district are closed until May 11 due to the Swine Flu epidemic. We heard this yesterday while watching AFV (America's Funniest Home Videos). Apparently, there are three suspected cases in our school district alone.
The Swine Flu claimed the first US victim in Texas yesterday, a 23-month old baby. The child traveled with family to Brownsville, TX from Mexico and died in Houston. Read "Toddler in Texas Becomes 1st Swine Flu Death in US." The Swine Flu gripped Mexico first claiming about 159 lives.
The past weeks San Antonio has been celebrating Fiesta, which is a big party that brings masses of people together for a week and a half long celebration. I've heard many relatives of San Antonio residents come in from Mexico for Fiesta events. Additionally, many San Antonio residents travel to Mexico to work, shop, visit family, and vacation. This leads me to believe the Swine Flu will only spread around here.
Up until the Texas death, most of the cases here have been mild.
After reading reports about this, my concern levels have risen. I started looking in to what we can do to prevent the disease from passing our doors. Swine Flu can live on surfaces for an extended time after placement and spreads hand to mouth.
- Wash your hands frequently with antibacterial, hand sanitizing soap
- Avoid letting people invade your personal space-keep them further than arm's length away
- Do not interact socially
Curious as I am, I wanted to know how this Swine Flu darkened our path. It comes from "intense exposure" to pigs. Pigs can get the flu. (No wonder those creatures always look like they have snotty noses.) However, you can not get Swine Flu by eating pork.
How do we get rid of this?
- The disease must be prevented in pigs through vaccine-they're working on this strain.
- Transfer to humans from pigs must be prevented-this has to do with environmental and cleanliness conditions at the pig farms.
- Passing the flu from human to human must be stopped-wash your hands and avoid sick people.
- The borders of Mexico are exploding with stories of horrible acts by drug-Mafia types.
- We still have situations overseas here, there, and everywhere.
Know this, we are on the verge of a pandemic. All people need to protect themselves and their families from contracting Swine Flu.