April 16, 2008

Challenging My Muse with a Flash ©

Last Wednesday I posted a 55 word flash fiction challenge for myself. I worked on it briefly and came up with this:


I entered the moonlit room. My heart skipped a beat when I heard her voice. I am guilty. I tried to explain, but it fell on deaf ears.

How different my life has become since. I am single now. I need not hide my obsessions or faults. I am free to live, as I will.

...

It rings familiar to the short story I have been working. Perhaps too familiar--call me a cheater, I had a busy weekend.

So it has a beginning, a middle, and an end. After that it seems a little sparse. I guess that's the point.

I read a little more about flash fiction and the point is to get to the point. The author is the framer and the reader is the filler. All at once, the story should be concise yet complete.

Within the flash fiction you should find a setting, character, conflict, and resolution. So did I meet the requirements?*


  • Setting: moonlit room

  • Character: speaker and partner

  • Conflict: guilty of unknown

  • Resolution: living single and free

Working on this was fun. Talk about exercising your edit/delete button. I want to branch out more on stuff like this for my Workshop Wednesday posts.


*From "Flashes of Brilliance" by S. Joan Popek

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

5 comments:

  1. Cool new look Muse!

    Are those your wee chickadees playing on the beach?

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey J.L.! Yep, those are indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Muse:

    This stuff looks difficult. It takes so much discipline. All I can say is good luck on wherever you're going with this.

    Have a very nice trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Muse:

    PS:

    Thanks for adding me to your list of favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there Swu! I hope I have a safe trip with it.

    You just noticed that you were on my favorites? You've been there for quite some time now! I guess the remodel on the blog made it easier to see.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!

Comments are appreciated. Be sure to leave your site information so I can visit you too!

Search the Web

Followers

Powered By Blogger